Thursday, October 13, 2011

Harry Potter Madness

So rewind to the week of the release of the last Harry Potter movie, and we were all sleep deprived, 
sugar - highed and dreaming of Hogwarts...

My sister-in-laws Tanya, Tiffany, Kylie & I threw a week long Harry Potter party.  
Every night, starting a week from the Midnight Showing of the Harry Potter Finale,
we watched one movie at my house.

We divided up the goodies to make,
(matched up to correspond to that nights movie of course),
we dressed up a few nights,
(which I totally spaced to take pictures of, my favorite was my brother-in-law who came as a dementor),
drew names each night and guessed what character everyone was,
and plastered the walls of our media room in Harry Potter quotes from all 7 books.   

I came home one day to find on my kitchen counter a parchment scroll addressed to
Mr. & Mrs. Yeates

Cute huh?  Made by Tanya & Tiffany
I love that I'm the Mistress of Magic, and Tiffany makes a perfect Mugwump (whatever that is)...
I also love the Passwords each night.  Jackson collected passwords from our special invitees.

On to the Harry Potter goodies


Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
3 Ingredients
1 large can of pumpkin
2 spice cake mixes (Duncan Hines)
Chocolate Chips

Mix all and bake in muffin pans according to cupcake directions.  
You can also leave out the chocolate chips, frost them with cream cheese frosting 
and have pumpkin spice cupcakes.  Both ways are so good!
 * * * * 



Caramel Popcorn with green food coloring
(and yes, I realized afterwards that it should say Troll, not Ogre)

* * * * * 


Red & Black Licorice
* * * * * 



Red M&M's
Could use any candy you wanted, we just liked the name from the book.
* * * * * 



Jelly Bellies
You can actually by the Bertie Bott ones, but those do have some gross flavors.
I didn't want to chance it, the espresso jelly bean in Jelly Bellies is bad enough for me.
* * * * * 



Cinnamon Sugar Owls



Close up, Chocolate Star eyes, piped on with large star tip using melted chocolate chips, beak is a pretzel goldfish.  Body was made from croissant dough, rolled & formed to look like an owl face, then buttered and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar before baking.  Eyes & beak added after they cooled.
* * * * * 


We let Carter & Jackson attend one or two of the movies, and made them leave or 
cover eyes during scary parts, so to include a kid friendly treat 
we had the classic Oreo Pudding Dirt Cup with Gummy Worms. 
* * * * * 



Originally called Cool Lime Napoleans
Made from croissant dough on the bottom, a slice of kiwi,
a mandarin orange wedge, and a lime infused whip cream topping. 
* * * * * 





Fruit Pizza
Sugar Cookie Crust, a whip cream frosting topped with in season fruit,
I wanted a mix of colors so I used mandarin oranges, strawberries, kiwi, and blueberries.
Then drizzled on top with an orange glaze.
* * * * * 



Snickerdoodle & Peanut Butter Cookie Dough, baked with a pretzel stick inside.
The chocolate & caramel drizzle was added on after they cooled. 
* * * * * 



Made from a cupcake, a large marshmallow, and then frosted.
The eyes are M&M's, the nose a mini M&M,
and the teeth are slivered almonds.
* * * * * 



And of course, you can't have a Harry Potter Party without Butter Beer.  

Disclaimer:  We tried two different recipes and both were extremely rich, and sickie sweet.  
Serve in small portions.  Guess we should have known when the ingredients include, caramel sauce, butter, whip cream, butter, cream soda and more butter. 
* * * * * 


I might have missed a picture of two through the week, but we had so much fun, even though we didn't sleep all week (some of those extended movies are over 3.5 hours long), and we were all exhuasted by the end of the week, but not enough to miss out on the main event!  Half the family went to the midnight showing (the ones without kids obviously), and then they went again with us old folks that night.  

I think my sister-in-law Tiffany said it best on her Facebook Status in line for the midnight show:

"Wearing a Harry Potter shirt I've had since I was 10, 
I have a lightening bolt on my forehead; 
I'm prepared to see my childhood come to an end."

 * * * * *
I'm posting these pictures and descriptions for a family member that wanted ideas 
to do a Harry Potter party coming up, so I'm typing up recipes to email them.  
If anyone else would like a copy please leave a comment or email me and I'll forward them along. 




No comments:

Post a Comment