Sunday, July 24, 2011

I'm trying to Love Gardening...

Well, our planting adventures yielded at least a little bit of success.
Before we cheer on the survivors, a moment of silence for our numerous casualties.
Say goodbye to artichokes, peas, sugar snap peas, carrots, lettuce, spinach & green bell peppers.
Jackson planted wheat in a dixie cup in his kindergarten class, and when he got home, was so excited that he planted it in our garden.  Surprise, surprise it's probably growing the best out of everything!  

Now for the proof that I haven't killed everything!

Bart saved me by weeding my whole garden for me.  The hours I put in, would completely disappear covered up in weeds, two days later.  My garden has years and years of weed seeds buried in it.  I was fighting a losing battle.  The weeds were high enough that bunnies were living in them. How cute huh?  


  Little Bunny Foo Foo hopping through the garden.....



Until Bart pointed out that in all the children's books, the farmer is always trying to kill kick the bunnies 
out of the garden . . . because the bunnies are eating the garden!  Not so cute now, huh?



But now the garden is growing, the weeds are gone, and Mr. Bunny hops through confused and wondering where his plush jungle habitat disappeared to.  (And decided to go live in Grandma's yard across the street!)


The first thing we've been able to pick, was one small, ripe, red cherry tomato.
The boys carried that poor tomato from room to room for two days.  


And now that the summer garden is on its way, we (and by we I mean me, while the boys ran around, yelled at birds, ate cherries and rode bikes) planted the fall garden (squash, pumpkins, other fall goodness etc.), so we'll cross our fingers that we end up with Halloween Pumpkins come October!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Okay, your garden survived much better than mine. Our two rows of potatoes are doing wonderfully. The corn? Only two stalks came up. Carrots? nope. Cucumbers? nope. flowers?? nope. peas- half of one of the rows came up but they're starting to looker sadder and sadder. All that grows at my house is weeds too. sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I haven't looked at your blog in a long time... So, you're in Washington, now. We'll be up there for our annual visit in a couple of weeks, so we'll see ya at church. :) Your boys are just too cute. It would be fun if we lived closer... I think my Mack and your Jackson would be fast friends. Hope you enjoy it up there... I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bit about your first little cherry tomato! So cute.

    ReplyDelete